BLUE SKIES FOREVER 5K FUN RUN AND 1 MILE WALK
Location: Legacy Park, West Pavilion, 1120 West 1100 North, North Salt Lake, UT 84054
Directions: Exit I-15 at 2600 S in Bountiful and head west on 2600 S until you reach Legacy Park,which is located in the subdivision west of Redwood Road (i.e., Foxboro North). Detail location in map below. FYI, west of I-15, 2600 S is both 2600 S for Bountiful/Woods Cross and 1100 N for North Salt Lake. So just head west until you reach the park!
Registration: Online registration available until August 18, 2016. Race day registration available from 7:00-7:45 AM.
Parking: Available at Legacy Park.
Start Time: The 5k Fun Run will start at 8:00 AM. The 1 mile walk will start at 8:15 AM.
Packet Pick-Up: Race day, 7:00-7:45 AM
Entry Fee: The entry fee for both events is $10 plus in-kind donations for the Fourth Street Clinic on the day of the race (list of acceptable items below.) This includes a t-shirt and an entry into our raffle.
Timing: As this is a fun run, no official timing system will be used though we may have a display clock at the finish line.
5k Awards: There will be awards for the first three male and female finishers and a small raffle.
5k Course: The race will start in the parking lot near the west pavilion at Legacy Park. Runners will then make their way to the Legacy Parkway Trail and head south. The runners will continue south on the Legacy Parkway Trail until they reach the turn around point at the Center Street Trailhead. There will be a water station at the turn around point. Runners will then head north on the trail until they reach the Legacy Park and finish near the West Pavilion. (See maps below)
The Fourth Street Clinic
The Fourth Street Clinic was created in 1988 with the goal of helping “homeless Utahns improve their health and quality of life by providing high quality health care and support services”. Over time, the Clinic has grown to include acute and primary care, family practice and pediatric services, behavioral health services, a pharmacy, dental services, and other specialty.
In 2015 the clinic:
- Saw 4,856 men, women, and children
- Provided approximately 32,300 visits
- Dispensed 60,000 prescription medications
Quick Facts about Homelessness
- Homeless people are 3 to 6 times as likely to experience illnesses than those who are housed.
- Bankruptcy is a major cause of homelessness and 62% of all personal bankruptcies in the U.S. were caused by health problems—and 78% of those filers had insurance.
- The average age of death of a homeless person in the United States is 48—on par with life expectancies in Afghanistan and Nigeria, the lowest in the world.
- A Haitian—with a 62 year-old life expectancy—can expect to live significantly longer than a homeless person in the United States.
Acceptable in-kind donations
Travel/Hotel Size Hygiene Kits – package supplies in Ziploc bags
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Roll-on deodorant
- Soap bars
- Body lotion
- Razors & shaving cream
- Small comb
- Alcohol-free hand sanitizer
- Feminine Products
Wound Care Kits – package in supplies in Ziploc bags
- 3 packages of 2”x2” gauze
- 2 packages of bacitracin 1 roll of Coban wrap
- 3 packages of 4”x4” gauze
- Ace bandages
- Antiseptic ointment
- Band Aids
- Cotton balls
- Alcohol prep pads
- Tongue depressors